What should I do if I was claimed as a dependent but I want to file my own taxes?

If someone claimed you as their dependent, first, you should determine whether they were in fact allowed to do so. Generally, if someone else (like a parent, grandparent, or guardian) pays for more than half of your living expenses and you live with them for most of the year, then you are their dependent. That means you do not qualify for most tax benefits (like the Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit, or stimulus payments), and you generally can not file your own tax return.
If you think someone claimed you incorrectly, you can appeal—but unfortunately this process isn't easy. First, you'll have to mail a paper copy of your return to the IRS. (See 'How Do I Paper File'.) Next, the IRS will begin a process to determine whether the other person's claim was valid. This process can be difficult for you and for whoever else claimed you, as you may both have to provide documentation supporting your case.

How helpful was this answer?